Sunday, March 28, 2010

Just some thoughts

OK, I am still behind, but I will catch up....eventually. For this post, I decided to do something a little different. I am just going to share my thoughts. There will not be any pictures (sorry).
The first thing I will share that has been on my mind relates to homeschooling.
I guess I am just having doubts to my ability to do an adequate job. Hallie is doing fine, but I really think she is the kind of student that will do great no matter who the teacher is. She probably still needs to work on writing, spelling, and handwriting, but I don't think she is really behind. She is doing great in math and reading. Her Chinese is improving too, but since her lessons are now emphasising characters, she is....I won't say struggling but not enjoying it as well as she does spoken Chinese.
I am a little worried that Liam and Eryn maybe a little behind. They are doing great with math, but reading seems to be going slow. They are only in kindergarten, but.....
I want them to do great.
Lately I have been wishing I could send them to school. Sort of wishing. I also worry about them not having very many friends.
There is an international school here in town. But it costs about $20,000 (USD) per year per student. Ha! There is no way we can afford that now.

We could send them to Chinese school, but I really hate that idea. They don't speak enough Chinese. It would be miserable for them. Chinese educational philosophy is way different than the American style. It is not an environment I want my kids in all day. Also, they would still be behind in reading English. However, their Chinese would improve very quickly.

So really my only option is to homeschool them. Don't get me wrong, I really do like homeschooling. We homeschooled even before we came to China. I like spending time with them. I just wonder if their teacher is the best for them. I second guess myself. I just wish I was one of the super homeschool moms that does really neat stuff all the time and has kids that are reading college textbooks in first grade.
Sometimes, I wonder if my standards are too high. How well should kids be reading at the end of kindergarten?
I also know that research says that students that are allowed to learn to read "naturally" do usually catch up by the time they are 7 or 8 (or is it 9?)

A seasoned homeschool mom once told me that this time of the year is one of the times that parents usually get the most discouraged. Really, they kids are doing pretty well. I just need to put a little more focus on reading, and finish out the year.

One of the real reasons, I wish they could go to school is to have friends. I worry a little bit about their social skills.
Actually just a couple of weeks ago, Hallie and Eryn made some new friends. There is a family that lives near us (with 2 daughters aged 10 and 5) that lived in the US for several years. Both the girls were born in the US and speak wonderful English.

The 10 year old goes to the international school because she does not read or write Chinese very well even though she speaks it at home. It is great that Hallie can have a friend that she can communicate with. They have spent the last two Saturdays together. Eryn also plays with the little sister, and I get to visit with Jane the mom.

I don't know where I was going with all that ranting, I guess I just needed to vent.

This past Saturday, Jane asked me if we go to church. She said that she went to a Chinese church when they were in the US. Pray that we can develop our relationship and can get them to come to church. (I did invite her).

No comments:

Post a Comment