Saturday, March 20, 2010

Shopping for food

While my dad and Karen were in Hangzhou, I took my dad to the market and let him take some pictures. These were taken at one of the nearest markets. We often buy veggies and eggs here.




This is an assortment of some of the fresh vegetables available.




We can buy eggs at a store or supermarket, but they are cheaper at the market. They are sold by weight.






I think these are preserved eggs. We don't eat these because we think they are gross.




You can buy meat at this market too. I think they only have pork here. I have not been brave enough to buy any yet.




You can buy fresh seafood. Here are crabs and eels. They are still alive. (that way you know they are fresh)





You can also buy a chicken or duck here too. You just pick it out, and the worker kills it and defeathers it. I don't think they gut it though. I have not bought a live chicken.




Usually I only buy veggies, fruit and eggs at markets like this, but one day I may be braver.


Usually we shop at places like this:




Yes, we have a Wal-mart supercenter near our apartment (one bus ride away).

This is actually a very nice mall with several nice places to shop.

Wal-mart does not carry many foreign goods, but this Wal-mart has a decent bakery section and good prices on other things we buy.



My Dad took some pictures of some of the things you can buy at Wal-mart in China.


Sea food....




Yeah, that is a ray.
Dried fish...

Dried Pig face...
on the back of this you can actually see teeth...gross!
You can also find packaged...um....snacks...
These are two pig snouts.
Chicken feet anyone?



We can find stuff that we do like, but still no Dr Pepper or Salt and Vinegar Kettle chips in this city. Let us know if you want us to bring you any snacks this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment