Friday, May 7, 2010

Our secret

I am so behind on this blog. I have been meaning to type up this entry for some time. It almost seems silly now. The weather has finally turned warm. Actually a few times I have thought that it was hot! I know it is nothing like it will be in just a few weeks. I did wonder when it was going to get warm. I was getting jealous of folks back home wearing t-shirts and shorts, and we were still wearing long-johns! But those times are behind us for a few months now.


Anyway, do you remember the post I had about how cold it got here? I will share with you one of our secrets to how we deal with the cold.


You know in the winter time, when it is chilly and you are tired and you climb into bed, and it is cold? I hate that feeling. Those minutes that you are trying to warm up the bed can be agony. Sometimes it seems as if your feet will never get warm. Well, that doesn't happen in our house!
This is why. This is our secret:



We call it a bed warmer. It is like an electric blanket, but it goes under the sheet. In the winter time, we make it a habit to turn on the bed heater about 30 minutes before we go to bed. With the bed made, or at least all the covers pulled up, it will pre-heat the bed. It is wonderful!
We can now climb into a warm bed. I think it feels like climbing into a hot bath, to soak, only I don't get wet.
We inherited one of these bed warmers from the short term team. It only lasted a few weeks before it burned out, but that was long enough to get us hooked! We bought another one (the one in the picture) but it eventually burned out too. We have another one now. I am not sure if they are supposed to last more than one season or not. This year, we made sure the kids each had one too. We watch very carefully, and don't let the turn it on too high or leave it on when they should not. On the few occasions when we have forgotten to "turn on the bed" we have REALLY missed it!
Well, I took the bed warmer off the bed today. I will put it away until the fall, but you can be sure that it will be back on the bed when the nights start getting cold! This is one of our secrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment