Thursday, February 9, 2012

Fried rice

When we lived in China the first time, I almost never had fried rice.  I really almost felt like it was an American invention (I am sure it is not).  It is a great way to use up left-over rice.  I love fried rice now.  I will even order it out sometimes. Actually it is one of my favorite "fast" meals.  Of course the stuff we eat here tastes nothing like what you get at Chinese restaurants in the US.

Jon usually makes fried rice when we eat it.  I took some pics the last time he made it.

You start out with some rice.  This is a mixture of brown and white rice.  

Jon scrambles a few eggs in the wok and breaks it up.  Then he adds any vegetables or meats.  We usually just use left overs here, but sometimes we will cut up a carrot, add some peanuts, onion, and greens.  He cooks this for a bit or if it is leftovers, just heat it all up.  Then he adds the rice.  He stir-fries this until the rice starts to un- clump.  Then he adds about a tablespoon of soy sauce.  
 We used to add way too much soy sauce.  We like it better with less.  This is not rocket science.  He just adds what he thinks will taste good together.  It is the kind of dish you need to cook and fiddle with until you get it the way you like it.

Jon likes to "throw" the food around in the wok.  I just use the spatula to stir and turn my cooking.  I tried to take a picture of him doing it, but it did not work.  I have one picture somewhere....


Fried rice is a yummy and quick way to use up small bits of left-overs.




No comments:

Post a Comment