Thursday, February 9, 2012

What's for dinner- all week!

I wish I could say that I am always organized with my meal planning.  I try to be and sometimes it works out great, other times....not so much.  But we aren't talking about that today.  The week of my birthday worked out fantastic!  I think it went like this:
 On Monday I cooked some brown rice and made this  broccoli quiche that I found on Pintrest. I had to look up how to cook brown rice, but it is not too difficult.  I really like brown rice.  I have heard that it is healthier than plain white rice, so I have started mixing it with white rice in casseroles and even Fried rice.
This quiche/ pie was pretty good, but it was pretty bland.  It could have used more cheese and more salt, but I will try to make it again.  There were no left-overs, so it couldn't have been that bad.


The next day was my birthday, so I did not want to slave in the kitchen, but I still wanted to eat something yummy.  I made some potato cheese soup.  I did not make it from scratch.  I used one of the big soup bags from Bear Creek.  All you have to do is add water!  We buy several of these soups when we are home in the summer.  They are great to have on hand, especially for cold and rainy days when we do not even want to go out to the market.  I also had some bread mix from Tastefully Simple, all you have to do is add a can of beer or soda and bake.  These breads are always terrific!  We did have some of this soup left over, and we had a guest for supper.  One bag makes a huge pot of soup.

Wednesday, I just threw some chicken in the crock pot with a can of condensed soup.  I served this with some canned green beans.
Thursday, we had Tacos!  This was a special treat.  We usually do not have taco shells.  They are very hard to find.  Truthfully the shells were not very good, but Hallie was very happy.  She likes crunchy tacos.

The best part of the week, was I made a casserole with the leftovers from the week.  I had left-over brown rice from Monday, chicken from Wednesday, cheesy soup from Tuesday, and a spoonful or two of green beans and a tiny bit of salsa left from taco night.  I mixed it all together and topped it with some shredded cheese and breadcrumbs.  It was really yummy!

I wish I could be this organized every week!  Then again, we ate mostly American food that week.  We usually eat at least some Chinese food.

The next few food posts, I will talk about some Chinese food that we eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment